Climbing was easier in the 1970's.

• Hmmm. Just got thinking about your thread title.

Climbing was definitely easier (for some of us) in the 1970s, but it is definitely harder in our own 70s.

Thank god there is still beer!

• @David-Harris And decent wines. Heidi & me celebrating our hike & our 31st anniversary in Stanley's Sawtooth Hotel.
    A ray n Dorita.jpg

• @FritzRay Nice! Happy Anniversary! 🎉

Here's some more from along the hike into Sawtooth Lake.

20140914_0101.jpg

Like you, a lot of water has flowed over that rock yet it's still here. 😉

• This post is deleted!

• stonemountain1.jpg

Even easier in the 1950s. On Stone Mnt, Georgia, about to slip on the dry lichen.

• @jgill Hard to discern from that pic but are you actually tied into that cord? Cuz from where I sit, looks like not....

• I think I had unclipped after placing a bolt for what lies above, having attached the pack to the bolt momentarily. Don't ask me why. Note the great friction shoes.

• The more I think about it, the less I agree.

I was doing scare-fest solo ascents that were beyond cutting edge. Of course, on climbs of that difficulty and danger, one can't stop to take photographs without risking death. But, in this particular case it was possible for my base-camp staff to get one shot near the end of my descent.

So, yeah, here is that photo of me on the final descent to base camp following the first ascent of the North Wall of my sister's barn...

Descent from the FA of the North Face.jpg

• @jgill could it be that you didn't have carabiners and needed to thread the rope through a ring?

• Awesome ------Dude! Early daze indeed. My photo of Gordon Williams, Aug. 1970, on our north ridge of Mt. Regan ascent in Idaho Tyrolian Traverse.
    Gordon Mt. Reagan 1970.jpg

Two weeks ago, I read that the best & best known, early 1930's climbers in the U.S., Robert & Miriam Underhill, turned back at that gap in 1934, went down, & climbed the peak from the south.