Craft Beer Spoken Here

• I quit drinking Deschutes beers due to their politics, but I agree that the O.S. is a tasty beer, and it does make a good float. My brother in law owns Mexico's largest micro brewery, Minerva ( sounds like a contradiction). They make a American style stout that makes a good float too, but I prefer a slightly sweeter stout, something with a hint of burbon and I'm happy

• @Scole I have no clue as to political alienation strategems. I guess I just recall a memory from a bitd day... Other than that, and availability, I have not ever heard bad about them. What is what, eh?

Sounds like you'd groove on brewmeister Corey's Smoked Bourbon Barrel Stout. Or some such permutation. A perennial fave. Weighs in 10-11% abv. Never used it for a float though. Probably should. Likely would be good.

• Not sure about the smoked, but Bourbon Barrel Stout at 10 -15% sounds good. That is what I like about Lost Abbey, the make strong, dark beers which are often barrel aged. I can't get my brother in law to brew me a private batch.

• @Scole said in Craft Beer Spoken Here:

but I prefer a slightly sweeter stout, something with a hint of burbon and I'm happy

Have you tried any of the stouts from Avery Brewing? I think several of them would match your taste. Particularly their Uncle Jacob's Stout..

Not for the faint of heart, though, as they run all the way up to 17% abv.

• I like the Avery beers. I remember one that I think was by Avery called World Wide Stout that was 17%, but they are hard to find on the west coast, and even harder here.

• @Scole And, to keep this climbing-related: I don't know him, but I believe Adam Avery -- the boss at Avery Brewing -- is, or at least was, a serious climber.

• @toby said in Craft Beer Spoken Here:

This may intrigue your palates....

Ha. My neighborhood bottle shop and tap room in Seattle had 60 taps and over 1,100 different bottles in their coolers. And if that wasn't enough, there were a couple of other similar joints within a 20-minute drive.

So, yes, I often saw the Huge Arker in the coolers. But never tried it because, a) I'd had an Anderson Valley beer a few years back that didn't do much for me, and b) There were about fifty other heavy-duty stouts to choose from.

But now that I've retired and moved to a relatively isolated little city on the BC coast, 60 taps and 1,100 bottles is just a dream. However, there are some good breweries in BC, and the local liquor stores do bring in some good stouts (and some Belgian beers at a much lower price than I was paying in the US), so I'm not without good commercially-brewed stout. And even without that, I'd be okay, cuz there's a keg of my own big, thick, rich, strong stout in my beer fridge..

If you ever find yourself on vacation in Powell River, I'll be happy to pour you the kind of stout you like. And an equally good tripel, if you'd prefer -- no phenolics.

• @David-Harris

I do enjoy the Anderson Valley. It's a really big beer so it has to be a when I'm in the mood thing. More up Corey's street. I have an appreciation for craft styles across a wide spectrum A former client is married to a Belgian. Sampled lots of Belgian beers. Some more enjoyable than others. Like most things. Kind of always circled back to the phenolics for me though. That sort of wet cardboard effect. Is such not an inherent byproduct of the triple fermenting process? I don't know much about Belgian brewing mechanics. True to style English Alt Ales captured my imagination during the 80's. I gained an appreciation for Bass Ale, Harp Lager, Watneys, and Guiness draughts at Walk's Place while at UCSD so I guess that whet my palate for English/UK beers. I traveled seasonally afterwards for work. Also had family in Seattle. My earliest craft beer memories come out of the Pacific Northwest, e.g. Newport, Hood River, Pike's Place, and certain parts of CA. Early Full Sail. Early Rogue. Early Bridgeport. These were intriguing counterparts, indeed!

Folks I knew started hobby brewing. My bro and old man among them. Dad had more time and converted the middle bay of his three car garage into a brewing station. Entered a few local competitions and then onto several medals at the Pacific Northwest Regionals. He brewed a lot of beer over the years. It was an interesting re-discovery of mostly long neglected and all but forgotten brewing techniques. Fast forward three decades and there are recipes for everything under the sun on the net while the craft "brewmeister" down the street looks for new and interesting exotic fruits to make his IPA's not taste like IPA's anymore....

Yeah, it's been an adventure, for sure, fer' sure... End result is I am the local taste bud authority. Particularly when it comes to India Pale Ales. 🍻

• Did something this week that I've never done before: entered things in a Fall Fair.

Didn't know what to expect, but, given that I only entered three things, two Firsts and a Second ain't too shabby.

And to keep it climbing-related, two of the items were beers!

Prize winners.jpg