Craft Beer Spoken Here

• Sometimes a picture is worth thousands of words....

craftbeer.jpg

No shit, there I was... chillaxin' in the shade of the picnic area at Smith Rocks. A self imposed "back to back" rest day. And damned bored. Hard not to touch stone for one day, let alone two consecutive when you're living at the crags but sometimes necessary to rest up the guns. I was in lean, mean climbing machine mode, shooting for eight to ten pitches per day. Leading 5.10 solid and breaking into 5.11 land. Favored onsight flashes to working routes, even at sport climbing areas. The old JTree trad ethic I'd cut my teeth on died hard even with bolts six to eight feet apart. I'd hit a plateau and single day rests away from stone didn't seem to be helping so I was experimenting with a longer rest. The Internet didn't exist yet and climbing still a bit counter culture so all this was stuff we were figuring out empirically and experimentally. Or at least such was the case for me.

Yep. Damned bored when this dude flyin' solo who'd hung with us a bit rolls up. I don't remember his name, but I want to call him John. John was a bit of a strange cat in that one of the memorable things about him was he was into climbing cracks inverted. I don't mean overhanging, horizontal roofs. I'm talking starting out a vertical crack started via feet and toe jams at the lead with his arms bearing most of his body weight. We'd thought him punking us until he'd demonstrated. Dude had some gymnastics's background and was pretty buff. Certainly served as an attention getter with the betty's and other onlookers. John proceeded to tell us about some friends of his who were into brewing that he wanted to visit.

Even during these dark ages we'd figured out the importance of strength to weight ratio and I weighed in at about a buck fifty. Beer was a lot of calories, nor is alcohol conducive to lactic acid dissipation so I was reluctant. I'd done a town grocery run the day before, already hiked the base trail along the Crooked River and done a six mile jog and some aerobic work with Team Husky. Still damned bored and "The Kid" was always up for an alcohol buzz, or pretty much any other, so I relented and we loaded up Team Husky into my red beater rig Mazda B-1600 pickup.

Being a regular dirtbag I preferred to spend my ducats on food and other essentials rather than fuel driving about needlessly so I was less than psyched when John rolled right on through Redmond. We finally arrived in Bend and hooked up with John's buddies. Pretty cool dudes. These guys were not pouring one ounce tasters, reluctantly served and/or charged for modern times now that craft beer is a "thing" but rather full pints! Oh, you liked that one?! Here try this! Pint after pint. I was not into getting blasted and also had Team Husky waiting in the truck so I decided to bail after a couple hours and a few pints of water. I didn't see John, nor The Kid until mid afternoon the next day. They'd over nighted in Bend, passed out somewhere, maybe the floor.

The year was 1988 and the brewery Deschutes. Then a small hole in the wall and Bend's first of what was to become over something like seventy craft breweries.

Cheers! 🍺

• 20170627_185734.jpg

This is a nice combo

• There was an organization in the late '60's, early '70's

Called the Low Brew Society

Crafty, eh?

To wit, or not

http://dulltooldimbulb.blogspot.com/2011/12/brew-102-makes-racial-history-and.html

• I'm more of a teetotaler but occasionally, every 4 or 5 months I splurge.
    I really need to get more descriptive pictures to swap in here.
    IMG_5818_747x560.JPG
    The "Road To Ruin" is 8%ABV so the regular choice.
    The Vanilla Coffe Stout is 7.2 %ABV There is also an excellent Coffee Stout in the mid 7%ABV
    that is also
    smooth
    IMG_5824 (2)709x560.JPG
    The Two Roads Brewery & Thimble Island Brewing Company are my favorite locals of about 10 Brewerys in a 70-mile radius.

• But nowhere near as strange as @zBrown, who posts up about Brew 102 in a craft beer thread. Yeah, us climber types have always been known to be a bit "touched in the head". I mean, why else would we do that 'chit? Maybe chickens come home to roost after all that oxygen deprivation at altitude. In any case, welcome to the club. Seems you're in some pretty good company.

Well what is crafty varies with time, eh💋

Hula hoops are after all not Frisbees!

• @zBrown said in Craft Beer Spoken Here:

Well what is crafty varies with time, eh

No shit.

The history of beer, no matter how interesting, is so full of holes that no one will ever know what his/her ancestors were drinking. Go back as far as you want, and, while you will find clues, there will be no detailed recipe that will let you brew what the Sumerians, Egyptians, Brits, whomever were drinking back then.

We can guess, and do our best to recreate the brews of days past, but we'll never know for sure...

However, that doesn't stop us from building either new or historic beers today. If any of you ever make it to the remote-from-everywhere place I now live, you can sample some of these...

Pigeon Point Brewery Imperial Stout.jpg

The highwayman label.jpg

Dubbel Overhang.jpg

But I guess I'll have to bring the labels up to date, changing everything to Powell River Brewery,

• @David-Harris Now wait.... you are/were Ballard Brewing, Seattle based? I've not been there in years so not kept up but... you could get on draft in pubs and such circa mid 80's, e.g. Fishermen's Terminal and around Ballard?

• My favorite US brewery is Lost Abbey. Their brews tend to be heavy, dark and strong.

Try the Angels Share or Santas Little Helper.

• @toby said in Craft Beer Spoken Here:

Now wait.... you are/were Ballard Brewing, Seattle based?

Yes, but no. That is, I was living in Seattle, in the Ballard neighborhood, and I did a lot of brewing. And had fun making labels for the beers I brewed. But it was not a commercial enterprise. Just me brewing at home. So I put "Ballard Brewing" on my labels.

In 2011 we moved from Ballard to the Pigeon Point neighborhood, and I changed my labels accordingly. And, at about that same time, Ballard suddenly became the hottest location in the galaxy to open a new brewery. There must be at least 15 breweries in that one small Seattle neighborhood -- and I'd be surprised if one of them wasn't called Ballard Brewing, or something similar.

And overall, Seattle has more breweries than any other city in the US. The last data I have seen was from 2017, when the Seattle Metropolitan Statistical Area had 174. The next closest was Chicago, with 158.

And regarding Scole's note, above, I won't say that Lost Abbey is my favorite, but they sure do make a lot of really, really good beer.

• Well we brewed some beer in my buddy's garage attic in 1963. It was not very good.

Luckily weed was readily available.

Weed, no matter what you may think of it, saved a lot of folks from liver damage.

Is there a craft weed thread yet? 🙂

Delete if this is toofarr off topic!

• IMG_5587.jpg

• @zBrown said in Craft Beer Spoken Here:

Is there a craft weed thread yet?

• @Scole

These are not the droids you're looking for...

Be that as it may, I prefer to keep things safe for work and family friendly. I know. Seems incongruous. Recreational and medical in so many states but still the stigma. Idaho is very conservative - come to ID on vacation, leave on probation. And damn proud of it. Also rather aggressive identity politics and it's just potential trouble I don't need. Seems there's lots of specialty forums catering to such interests as well. Otoh, harvest season is just around the corner and it seems a lot of us are old farts dealing with pain and aging so we shall see, eh?

• Zombie attack.jpg

• Happy RTT

IMG_5532.jpg

Grabbed o' halfling rack of Sockeye Dagger Falls IPA to compliment the fine "Cowasockeye" t-shirt art. Wear 'em if ya' got 'em.

Enjoy! \o/

• Mexico abounds with fizzy yellow beer. There are lots of craft breweries, but they focus on lighter beers, particularly IPAs. Personally, I can't stand IPAs, I don't like hops. Enter Trappist beers. The best beer I can consistently find here are Trappist, so my taste for strong, malty beers is sated with Triples and Quads.

I can't wait for the day that the Mexican beer palate evolves to barrel aged imperial stouts, but until then these will have to do.

• @Scole Cool. I have been "an IPA guy" going way back. I like hoppy beers! Also some other beers. Even some fizzy Mexican beers. Is Bohemia available your neck of the woods?

Not too much a fan of Belgian or Trappist styles though. Kind of interesting exploratory but in the end I am just not a phenolic fan. Local pizza place has Delerium Tremens on draft for when I am in a mood ....

• It's all about personal taste. I started drinking Guiness when I was in high school, never liked the lighter beers. Must be my dwarvish ancestry, for me its all about the malt.

Bohemia is available here, but not very popular. The craft beer industry is taking off, and lots of people in the cities are drinking premium beers. Don't worry though, Pacifico, Carta Blanca, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Modelo etc. have strong followings in the pueblos.

• @Scole I do enjoy Bohemia when I am eating Mexican food. It was recommended by Ernesto decades back when I used to frequent his restaurant. Also enjoy Negra Modelo from time to time.

Guiness has been squeezed out of the local big box store shelf space wars. Deschutes Obsidian Stout would be my go to in this department. Likewise their Black Butte Porter. Odell's Cutthroat Porter is another dandy beer.

I am of the opinion Deshutes' Obsidian Stout is even better w/vanilla ice cream than Guiness, eh!

One man's opinion, anyways. Prost! 🍺

• I quit drinking Deschutes beers due to their politics, but I agree that the O.S. is a tasty beer, and it does make a good float. My brother in law owns Mexico's largest micro brewery, Minerva ( sounds like a contradiction). They make a American style stout that makes a good float too, but I prefer a slightly sweeter stout, something with a hint of burbon and I'm happy