Tequila

• @toby
    Yes, sipping is the way to go, and I do enjoy whisky as well.

Everyone has probably slammed a shot now and then, but you learn your lesson quickly. You're right, anything with that kind of proof will do the job.

Tequila is often mixed with fizzy water or Coke or Squirt type sodas, as well as fruit juices, as in a Tequila Sunrise. I prefer straight, but to each his own.

Salud!

• Tequila vision.JPG

The world as seen through 50 L of Reserva de la Familia

• @Scole What else is there that is worth seeing?

• 20200605_224326.jpg

After 3 months of quarentine in a Mexican beach town, 2 of them with no alcohol sales, it's time to see what's left on the shelf.

Raicilla is made from agave and, until recently was considered moonshine: It is now legally produced and sold in a couple of small mountain towns in Jalisco

• @Scole Nice post Scole. I raise a shot of the best to you!

• havent had tekilla since febuary 1987... didn't feel the need to quit the rest of the sauce untill aug 2006 🙂

• Not sure whether this should be here in the Tequila thread, or in the Coronavirus thread, but...

Mari told me she'd bought a bottle of a new-to-her tequila during her last stint working in the US. Pretty good stuff, she said. Called 1800.

So I looked it up (and then bought a bottle here for Mari's return). Here is a note from their website, and a shout out to them for their care, and to you when you're considering the next bottle:

"Our response to COVID-19: Proximo Spirits pledges $1,000,000 as part of its ongoing effort to help those in need.
    We've always remained true to our values of passion, hard work and honesty.
    Today we're proud to honor these values by joining our family of brands at Proximo Spirits who are making a $1,000,000 donation to two charities that are doing so much to support our communities nationwide.
    CORE (Children of Restaurant Employees) is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving the children of food and beverage service employees who are in need of help due to a health crisis or natural disaster.
    World Central Kitchen #ChefsforAmerica movement, a team of food first responders, mobilizing with urgency to get meals to those who need them most, including children, families and seniors, as well as frontline healthcare workers.
    This initial pledge is part of our ongoing commitment to stand by the individuals and families who are so deeply impacted in these difficult times.
    From our family to yours,
    1800 Tequila"

• @David-Harris I think you may be referencing Jose Cuervo 1800? I once had a college roommate gift me a bottle of the real deal from Mexico. Nowadays... I rarely drink Tequila. For what it is worth, that Herradura Reposado I posted up post seems to be well appreciated by guests. My palate is not very well educated when it comes to Tequila, however, so I definitely defer to @Scole and @ACOPA.

Hmm... I have not kept up with all the mergers and such in the spirits world but seems they've split the 1800 stuff off to a dedicated line:

1800 Tequila

Originally known as Cuervo 1800 Tequila,[7] 1800 Tequila was launched in 1975 as a premium sipping tequila.[8] The Silver, Añejo and Reposado labels were introduced in 2004.[9] Since 2008, it has been distributed in the US by Proximo Spirits.[5] That year, the Select Silver label was introduced, as the first and only 100 proof clear tequila.[9] In 2006, 1800 introduced The Ultimate Margarita, 19.9 proof and the only pre-mixed, ready-to-serve margarita mix made with 100% blue agave tequila (1800 Silver).[10]

Heh, so which one did you get, eh?

• @toby No, not the Cuervo.

When Mari told me about liking the 1800 Tequila she bought, I said the same thing as you: "Oh, that's a Jose Cuervo brand." Probably because I remembered seeing a Cuervo 1800 at some point. She said "No, doesn't look like it's part of the Cuervo line." So I went online and checked...

But it is not. Not connected at all. And not only is it good tequila, the company seems to be doing good things... assuming what they say on their website is true.

• @David-Harris From that Wikipedia link:

1800 Tequila is a Mexican brand of tequila owned by the Beckmann Family, who also own the Jose Cuervo tequila brand.

I guess I presumed they'd split it off for the premium market to compete with Patron and the like.