Tequila

• @David-Harris
    The salt & lime wedges, as well as doing shots, are mostly for tourists. Bars and restaurants sell a lot more tequila if they get you doing shots than if they have you sipping and tasting.
    Locals traditionally like to take their time and enjoy the taste, but restaurants are used to requests for lime wedges and salt and many serve them on the side.
    Tequila is a most efficient drink.

• @ACOPA Im glad you chimed in! Have you ever noticed the rock in the baranca north east of Tequila?

• Like ACOPA said: Tequila is like any other liquor. Shots of the cheap stuff for the amatures, and sipping the best for those who know.

The Tequila bong and various other ways of getting you shit faced are popular in tourist bars, but are not part of the culture.

• @ACOPA Good to know. I was wondering about such since Scott mentioned "sipping" up post. Sipping is also more my style, hence the "Sippin' Whisky" thread. I cringe when a guest "slams" a dram from a hundred dollar bottle of single malt. I imagine locals must feel us gringos are pretty silly. My college roommate mentioned up post also slammed shots though. Born in Mexico City but raised mostly in L.A. so maybe he was American Macho'ized? Ditto locals ordering up expensive Patron Silver/Platinum. Always seems to be portrayed such in movies as well, even those shot in Mexico. I always figured it was just one of those tequila crazy things, as how are you going to taste/appreciate "good booze" like that?

Anything forty to fifty percent alcohol is going to be "most efficient". I'm not into the alcohol buzz but do enjoy good craft beer and good whisk(e)y. I quaff the former and linger over the latter, nosing and savoring the nuances. At full strength, such is less evident, however, and diluting with water backs off the alcohol "bite" and releases the secondary and tertiary esters, leading to esoteric verbiage like "dried fruit, hint of pear, apricot, etc." one may encounter in descriptions at various whisky aficionado sites. Indeed, Laphoraig recommends a 2:1 dilution on their cask strength. Is tequila sipped straight?

Anyways, interesting cultural info. I've not ventured across the border in decades (bad experience w/a corrupt cop) and been meaning to email Scott and inquire what it's like for a gringo to be living in Mexico. But maybe that's a topic for another thread.

• High end tequila has become very trendy, but not all expensive tequila is worth the money. It has become very fashionable to bottle generic tequila in fancy bottles, then charge premium prices: Patron is the epitome of this practice. Patron pretty much invented the fancy bottle for export. You can buy pretty much the same tequila at Trader Joes under a different label for less than half the price.

Another trend, with many small proprietary labels popping up, is to chemically match flavors of well known brands, rather than to embrace the natural, distinct, flavors of a specific distillation. These are products of chemistry, not artistry. So buyer beware.

• @Scole Yep. Ditto Italian olive oil, Canadian maple syrup and many other products oft times originating out of South East Asia. No shortage of "better living thru chemisery" marketroid conmen. I only every tried Patron once and was not impressed, especially at the price even though I didn't pay for it.

So, do you have any recommendations for the moderately priced "real deal" that would be available stateside?

• Does anybody make his/her own tequila?

• I've known about cheap 2-day hangover tequila for about 30 years, but I don't drink much of the "gud-stuff" these days, & never have one of them "fruity" tequila drinks.

However, I know I'm not one of you insiders, since I like it on the rocks. IMG_2310.JPG

• @zBrown said in Tequila:

Does anybody make his/her own tequila?

I would...
    Well if I could make Tequila out of moss instead of cactus, I would.

• @toby
    Yes, sipping is the way to go, and I do enjoy whisky as well.

Everyone has probably slammed a shot now and then, but you learn your lesson quickly. You're right, anything with that kind of proof will do the job.

Tequila is often mixed with fizzy water or Coke or Squirt type sodas, as well as fruit juices, as in a Tequila Sunrise. I prefer straight, but to each his own.

Salud!

• Tequila vision.JPG

The world as seen through 50 L of Reserva de la Familia

• @Scole What else is there that is worth seeing?