Are You Ready for Some Football (American Style)?

• Anyone watching the preseason games? Nice change from baseball...

• I'm waiting for college ball to start. Boise State is starting with Florida State & is going to teach them uppity Southerners a lesson.

Or Not.

It's tough to travel to northern Florida in August & play in 90 + degree temps & 95 -100% humidity in a 75,000 person stadium.

• @FritzRay said in Are You Ready for Some Football (American Style)?:

I'm waiting for college ball to start.

The differences between life in the US and life in Canada are the subject of endless debate, but the one thing that stood out to me when I moved to the US almost 20 years ago was...

...college sports.

No shit.

Most universities in Canada have sports facilities -- football fields and hockey rinks at least -- and teams to play in them. Same as in the US, right? But when the football team from whatever Canadian university plays, the stands (such as they are) will be occupied by a few parents and a few friends of the players, whereas in the US the stands (often megamillion dollar affairs) will be filled with 50 or 60 or 70 thousand rabid fans.

WTF?

Oh, right, there is one other major difference, although this has begun to change: When a US citizen wants to boil water, s/he fills a pot or a kettle, puts it on the stovetop, and turns on the burner. When a Canadian wants to boil water, s/he fills the kettle and turns it on.

• Who are your favorite teams? I'm partial to the Packers, Vikings, Bears, Giants and Broncos. After having lived in Dallas for approx. 12 years during the heydays of the '70s and '80s, I still root for the Cowoys but can't stand the owner (Jerry Jones).

It's a throw back thing from the 70s and 80s when they were formidable teams. Plus I like underdogs. The vikings vs. NO game was pretty good for a preseason game.

Generally I enjoy college games more than pro games as well, but have no real favorites.

David- down here in the lower 48 college sports (football, basketball, baseball) are BIG business. The top teams bring in millions of dollars for their respective college. Alumni are known to attend every game, including away games; they donate kiboodles of $$$ to the colleges based on the teams performance.

• Boise State pulled it off after being down to Florida State by 18 points in the first half. In 100 degree field temps & 100% humidity they held FSU scoreless in the 2nd half & beat them by 5 points. How bout them Bronocs!

• @FritzRay Not a fan. Sorry to disappoint. But yippie yi-yo kiyah 'fer them!! Indeed, eh!?? Well done, all 'round, eh!??? A well played game, eh?! i mean, really, ya' git' what I a layin' down, eh??! Alrighty, then! 👍 🎸

• Of course, I know Toby does like college football, like any decent American. And who would not mention Boise State's second win of this season over a very-good Marshall team. Thanks Toby, for your support!

• @FritzRay It's true! I am actually not a fan of the Broncos. Got to go w/UCLA, or any of the Cal's west coast and Duke east coast. I know. I freak out the locals.