• http://jordan-vincent.com/night-under-the-stars

https://www.windy.com/?37.492,-118.411,5
    lots of neat stuff here if you poke around

other examples you like?

• But the bears

What about the bears

Ok now on the to the second one

Windy is good but maybe I need a more powerful computer

• I favor Forecast.io for weather. They've since renamed themselves to Darksky.net but ... I prefer the forecast name and still have in my bookmarks from years back. It's a damn good weather service w/dandy mobile apps. I don't use Apple products but know a couple folks who use their iPhone app and give it good marks. Heh, I don't use an Android anymore either so cannot speak to that side but suspect it's pretty darn good as well.

Okay, enough promo and onto the subject at hand: One thing that set them apart early on was the absence of b.s. ads and the presence of excellent mapping that you could select/tune for different parameters of interest, e.g. wind speed. Here's a blog post where they talk about it some.

All that eye candy aside, I find them to be far more accurate than the competition, e.g. weather.com and accurateweather.com, which tend to monetize by acting as portals to click bait stuff I don't care to be bombarded with when I just want to check the weather. Also, not financially incentivized to "massage" the data so as to keep me checking back every ten minutes for updates. Toby recommended. 👍

• Thanks skiroc for the original posting.

• Dark Sky Net

2019-08-29-09-04_2560x1440.jpg

Powell River, B.C. Weather Visualizations

2019-08-29-09-15-35_852x1419.png

• Dark Sky Sells Out

I recently learned Dark Sky has sold their souls to Apple and will become fee only. Hence, I must retract my recommendation.

Too bad, too sad. Been using them since they called themselves "Forecast I/O" and the main thing they had going was their API. Now I will have to find another weather site that is actually worth a 'chit and prioritizes displaying weather maps and information over the ad rolls and saturated with click bait.

Enjoy your island and retirement. Glad us lowly end lusers were able to eventually provide enough
    eyeballs after all these years for you to cash out big prior to casting us aside like used, spent, jet trash.

Oh well. So much fer' that. Whine, snivel, snivel...

Fsck'ing asshats.

Windy Dot Com

The windy site linked by @skiroc in the topic starter is pretty slick. Deserves a re-post. 👍

• @toby said in data visualization - a couple of neat examples for data geeks:

Enjoy your island and retirement. Glad us lowly end lusers were able to eventually provide enough
    eyeballs after all these years for you to cash out big prior to casting us aside like used, spent, jet trash.

Given your interest in this sort of thing (and your sadness at Darksky selling out to Apple), you should read this Prof Galloway column from a few months ago, in which he discusses the swallowing up of businesses big and small by the giant tech companies.

We tend to think of outfits like Darksky -- relatively small startups -- being swallowed by Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Facebook, but he starts with the very big. I mean really big. As in FedEx. Which he refers to as FckdEx because he sees very little chance of FedEx surviving another two years: "In the next 24 months, FedEx will either be acquired or lose an additional 40%+ in value. The likely acquirer is Walmart. The gangster move: a merger with Shopify. "

But the heart of his argument is that, whether you are big (FedEx) or small (Darksky), you are not choosing between being acquired or continuing on your own path, bur rather you are facing the choice of selling out or disappearing. Why? Because Amazon or Apple can afford to make your product just one more feature of their overall offering. They can do that the easy way -- buying your company -- or the somewhat harder way -- developing something similar in house.

There is a lot more in Galloway's article, and it is definitely worth reading.

• @David-Harris Hell Yeah! Skimmed. Going to give a more thorough read later but from what I have seen the author is spot on. It is a cold fact the deck is stacked, as those brave souls who has ever tried running a small business are all too painfully aware. As a consequence, The American Dream is no longer to found a successful business and legacy but rather grow of sufficient size quickly enough to exit via a buy out/merger rather than being summarily fed to the hogs, slashed to ribbons, ingested, and shat back out with the rest of the pig shit. Five years is the window typically targeted by software startups. At least last time I was involved with any of that. Hopefully you're the rare exception to the rule, your golden parachute deploys as hope and you land safely on your retirement island. We still chase The Dream, however, as we have deluded ourselves into believing that we are that special one in a million. If only we join in keeping the board tilted against us long enough for us to make it to the other side and join in with the other sharks in the tank.

Silly Wabbits.

Clarification: It is not so much that they sold out to Apple but that they betrayed their long standing users by also making it closed and iOS only. Hence, Android App users are getting double screwed since they've already paid for the app but are now out in the cold. If the app fee was any serious money more folks would be screaming. I am sure they left themselves an out in the fine print legalese though and we sheep accept that this is just how things are done nowadays.

• Visualizing the Quantities of Climate Change

Satellite data show that Greenland and Antarctica are losing mass at a rate of 283 gigatonnes per year and 145 gigatonnes per year, respectively. So how big is just one gigatonne?

Q: How big is just one gigatonne?

A: This unit of mass is equivalent to one billion metric tons, 2.2 trillion pounds, or 10,000 fully-loaded U.S. aircraft carriers.

Right... like I can easily wrap my mind around that. Don't know about you but I've never been aboard an air craft carrier, nor even taken a gander at one from a distance in decades. Never fear, a couple snapshots from some NASA visualizations help keep it real:

National Mall

98_dc-ice.jpg

The National Mall extends 2 kilometers between the Washington Monument and the U.S. Capitol, and is 200 meters wide. A gigatonne of ice placed here would extend 2728 meters (8,948 feet) high.

Central Park

100_nyc-gt.jpg

Central Park is 4 kilometers long and 0.8 kilometers wide. A gigatonne of ice placed here would extend 341 meters (1,119 feet) high.

Hmmm.... I wonder what the conversion factor is for "billions of light years".... 🤓 🙄 🤣