Vintage Gear

• IMG_1905 (2).jpg
    ๎ธ„

https://www.outsideonline.com/1837056/my-little-serrated-security-blanket?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare[link text](link url)

I worked for the kings for years. steve called me into his office one morning and gave me this axe.

• @climber-bob Damn! A real treasure.

• @climber-bob

At first I wondered who are the kings and who is steve? Then I read the link and got it. Pretty sweet. I wouldn't call it vintage, but a good share.

• @FritzRay said in Vintage Gear:

johntp: I think Chouinard Zero North Wall hammers like yours were sold by Interalp into the Euro market. I bought a near-identical one from a fellow in England a few years back. It was 40 cm long, while the Chouinard catalog for 1978 state the new fiberglass North Wall Zeros were 50 cm. Here's a photo of the two, side by side.

Any more info on the one like mine (on the right in your pic); like how many were produced and when?

• johntp! Per your question, I have some facts from the 1980 Great Pacific Iron Works - Chouinard catalog. The classic Interalp/CAMP produced Piolet head design is gone, replaced by an entirely American-made axe with an ugly welded head, that lacked aesthetics, but worked just fine. I strongly suspect Interalp/CAMP decided to keep making their classic & beautiful Chouinard axe heads & reached an agreement with Chouinard to sell them in Europe, rather than the new welded American-made Chouinard axes. I have no idea how many they sold & how long after 1980 they sold them. In the last 3 years, I've seen 3 on EBay that look just like your North Wall hammer.

Here's some photos of the 1980 Great Pacific Iron Works catalog copy on the change.
    1980 First list with metal axes.JPG

1980 north wall and zero.JPG

My photo of a Chouinard U.S, made axe on left, next to a pre-1978 Chouinard Piolet made in Italy by Interalp/CAMP.

Interalp Piolet head compard to US made Chouinard head..JPG

• @FritzRay

Interesting. Mine is 40cm. Stamped "made in Italy Premana". The rubber sleeved shaft (as opposed to the catalog pic) makes me think it is of more recent manufacture. Also, the spike design is different.

• @johntp! Yes, Premana is the Italian town that Camp/Interalp had their factory in. The pick was stamped Camp, Interalp, & Chouinard on the opposite side & of course, the rubber grip has CAMP on it. I'm sticking with early 1980's for the age of those axes. Here's my earlier photo again. The Chouinard Zero Northwall hammer at 50 cm long sold in the U.S., late 1978 to early 1980, on the left & the Euro version you own on the right, that was likely sold 1980 to ?.
    IMG_1163.JPG

• @FritzRay

The rubber grip on mine says "interaLP CAMP".

Did someone say screws?

Ice Screws.jpg

• @Scole said in Vintage Gear:

20190428_112745.jpg

Third string cams. For when you need ten of one size.

The Indian creek, โ€˜just in caseโ€™ rack.....

• @Jaybro Exactly, they are for those times when you need 12 of each size.

• Bongs
    Bongs.jpg

• @johntp Lol... Ya' think the anal NSF content censor firewalls are going to have fun with this one...

Party on, Wayne! ๐Ÿšฌ

• @toby said in Vintage Gear:

@johntp Lol... Ya' think the anal NSF content censor firewalls are going to have fun with this one...

Party on, Wayne! ๐Ÿšฌ

Kinda funny story. As a thank you to Tami sending me some vintage biners, I sent her a set of tube chocks. On the customs form I called them "Climbing Chocks". Ended up getting stuck in Canadian customs for two weeks. Can only imagine what the x-ray screeners thought those short, fat pipes were.....

• I use my old snargs to hold up the windows in the cabin ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @NickG

Never used a Snarg. Any good? I kinda thought the Lowe's tube stuff looked iffy. Had one of Forrest's hammers with a tube pick and it sucked. Maybe good for cauliflower, but painful on WI.

• the tube picks sucked! I used my humming bird tube pick exactly once. the other pointy pick that came with the humming bird was pretty decent if fragile. . Snargs were decent in frozen turf. usually sucked in ice.

old stuff0042.jpg

• @NickG

HaHaHa! Gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

• I took a 100' fall onto a 6" Snarg which went to the eye on the first tap when I broke a free hanging icicle and rode it down. If that Snarg didn't hold it would have ripped the belay too. Before modern screws Snargs were often the quickest ice pro to place, and I have experienced one holding a giant whipper.

• Well,.. I have some cool old stuff, but trying to post photos here is too frustrating, and instructions from people that don't realize that saying something as simple as "go to" is not self explanatory.

(see I didn't use the J word again)

• ron. posting photos is pretty easy if you click on the cloud on the far right . its just right of the smiley face. they do need to be resized before you do that though which I do in photo shop. Don't know how other folks do it.

Scole. I had a mixed rack of snrgs, Chiounard screws and a few crappy salewas.. Sometimes the Snargs went in ok. other times they were a real SOB to place. I can remember swinging the hammer with both hands , 20 below zero while clipped in to my other tool dangeling with huge fall if it blew.. pretty much toasted by the time you got the thing in. Once I had one pull out just with the rope drag when I climbed by. I certainly had a love hate relationship with them.. I never took an ice fall until the modern screw era... ๐Ÿ˜‰