Vintage Gear

• @David-Harris said in Vintage Gear:

he bindings in the photos in your two links are nothing like Ramers.

Yeah, my brain fart. I was thinking of some Ramers I saw on eBay and my brain short circuited.

• David. Those are definatly Ramur army surplus. I have no idea what vintage . have been told 70's but my gut feeling is older??? I have owned 3 pairs of them and they say Ramer on the cable tightening lever.

• @NickG Wow! I just looked at the photos and thought "These are nothing like the Ramer bindings I skied on. Must be something else."

But, from what you and John say, it looks like he (Paul Ramer) designed bindings for the US Army. Maybe 10th Mountain Division?

He died a few years ago, but if he were still here with us I bet there would be some great stories.

• I have no history/idea if Paul Ramer got the rights to take the ancient Austrian Silvretta binding & add a boot plate to it & sell it to the U.S. Army, but without the riveted on metal boot plate, it looks just like the Silvrettas we were sking in the late 1960's & early 70's.

When I was helping making our ends meet in the late 1980's I worked during the holiday seasons at Backwoods Outdoor Sports in Ketchum/Sun Valley Idaho. One day the owner/friend asked me if I knew how to mount one of those ancient Silvrettas. I told him I would, without the heel cable hold-downs. None of their binding mounters would touch the job, but I did it, even turning the bindings slightly off-center, so the boot heels would center on top of the ski. I marked the skis left & right with a marker pen.

• would love to post some pics but receiving error msg from server trying to parse pic....OMG

• @Roots said in Vintage Gear:

link text

Thanks for the bump on MP. I had that parse message keep me from posting pics. Let me see what I can find to figure out how I solved it. Try removing any special characters, spaces, etc., shorten the file name (make it simple).

• @zBrown! Re Meanwhile, vintage GD microphones up for sale at $4K

Meh.

It's a climbing vintage gear thread.

Maybe the vintage Maestre air compressor on Cerro Torre, but not a vintage mike.
    Compressor on Cerro Torre Maestre route..jpg

• 20200111_194245.jpg

We have a small collection of vintage hangers in our collection.. but only one of these. Any info? Ideas on when it was produced?

• jfengel! Perhaps another gear historian here has better beta on Longware's history. I really have not found manufacturing dates on internet searches, but considering the prices his big angles & bongs sell for on EBay, folks are collecting examples of his pitons. My best knowing guess would be, early to late-1960's.