Sippin' Whisk(e)y

• Old Forester Statesman

IMG_5362.jpg

Old Forester Statesman. A favorite of favorites. I suspect Blanton's, and several other high end bourbons will have a hard time standing up to a blind head to head tastey test with this one! Toby recommended. 🥃 🥃 🥃

• Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

IMG_5577.jpg

Continuously produced prohibition style. Fer' medicinal purposes. Oohh, la, la!! 🥃 🥃 🥃

A fine Bourbon but I prefer their Statesman. I need to A/B blind taste test one of these days.

• 20200314_070002.jpg 20200314_070101.jpg

• hey there, say, all... wow, thanks for all the 'fun to see' shares, here... 🙂

i think i love all the pretty bottles more than the 'stuff' ...
    someday, though, i'd like to get a few bottles of various kinds,
    for a little 'private bar' ... however, it's never get used up, for years, 🙂 so, it'd be like a waste, unless:

i ran on down to the basement on occasions to enjoy the pretty colors... 🙂

i space my drinks, to a few shots every so many months, 🙂

• Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

IMG_6543basilhaydens.jpg

Finally got around to sampling one of @David-Harris favorites. 😜 🥃 🥃

Fancy bottle labeling decor. Increasingly a really big shoe in today's trendy Bourbon markets.

@neebee said in Sippin' Whisk(e)y:

i think i love all the pretty bottles more than the 'stuff' ...

Speaking of bottles, I can save 'em up and send your way if you like. I have a suspicion you will find something artsy to do w/them. 😉 🐕

Update: Have had a chance to dial in on this one. A bit stronger flavors, almost approaching a rye? Definitely sippable but not making my faves list. Genifer grooves on it though. 🥃 🥃 🥃

• @toby Well, as I've said a couple of times in this thread, it's not my favorite, but it does offer really good value for money. Hmmm... To which I have to add the price has increased (in my local liquor stores) about 30% in the last year. So maybe it has become too trendy to bother with.

But, whether I will drink it in the future or not, here is why we named our cat Basil...

Basil Hayden Junior.jpg

• Virgil Kaine Robber Baron Rye

Ah, yes.... a lil' more sippin'....

My bro gifted me this Robber Baron Rye

IMG_6532-virgilkaine.jpg

I prefer a straight up bourbon to rye whiskey but confess this stuff is pretty good. 🥃 🥃 🥃

• @David-Harris said in Sippin' Whisk(e)y:

@toby

I'll leave barbecue for another day, but here are a couple of thoughts on Bourbon. First, the name is more than a little nebulous. Technically, I think it means that what is in the bottle was distilled from more than 50% corn, but really, who gives a shit? Corn? Rye? Barley? Whatever. Either it is good or it isn't.

I spaced this earlier. Bourbon, Rye? What's the difference, eh? Well, they both contain both corn and rye. Bourbon is greater than 50% corn, while Rye is greater than 50% ... rye! The rye imparts more distinctive flavors that many prefer. My palate kind of appreciates the more subtle tastebud teases of Bourbon.

Same seems to have evolved in my taste for IPA's, as I've gotten away from, and rarely even sample, the big hop monsters these days. Kind of a "been there and done that" deal? Hmmm... 🤔

Anywho... need to update this later to include a couple holiday gifts. Which is what prompted reviewing this thread, so as to not be redundant. Standby. 🥃

• Old Forester 86 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky

@Clark Well, I'd never sampled this one but was recently gifted a bottle. 🙂

IMG_7006of86.jpg

Decent, fer' sure, fer' sure but I must be spoiled by their Statesman and 1920 Prohibition offerings. Worth the extra dollars to me. My $0.02 🥃 🥃

On a related note... I'd never noticed before that Old Forester breaks with tradition and uses the Whisky, sans "E", spelling. Which would otherwise be taken to mean it was Scotch or Canadian. Hmm.... Must be a story there.... 🤔

And on yet another related note... The astute may have noticed that Clyde Mays has labeled their whiskey "Bourbon" even though it's produced in Alabama. I'd always been told that such were fightin' words for Kentuckians. Jack Daniels, for example, is labeled "Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey". The take home being that Bourbon can be make anywhere, but only labeled Bourbon if from Kentucky.

I was not all that educated about the subject but was guessing the surging popularity of Bourbon post 2008 great depression's inflationary effect on the price of single malt scotch has everyone wanting to get into the game. And I guess they have no problem "breaking the rules" and calling their products bourbon. Got to leverage that marketing buzz, after all.

Inquiring minds are curious. Fast forward to modern times so I hit the 'Net.

Schnay, schnay, schnay, I say! Seems it's only the rule for folks from Kentucky. The Beverage Alcohol Manual pontificates thusly in Chapter 4:

"Whisky produced in the U.S. at not exceeding 80 percent alcohol by volume (160 proof) from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn and stored at not more than 62.5 percent alcohol by volume (125 proof) in charred new oak containers."

No mention of being limited to Kentucky. Note that the BAM also uses the "Whisky" spelling when talking about all whiskies. Ignorance or?? In any case, since this stuff goes way, way back and Old Forester was (I think) the only distillery allowed to produce during prohibition era, that compliance with gov'mint regulations may explain their use of the Whisky spelling.

So, geronimo! There ya' go! Big medicine! 🥃

• Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel Reserve

Was gifted a bottle of this fourteen year old reserve from my oldest. A dandy single malt, indeed! I'd have to say probably my top pick of any Glenfiddich offering and goes to my short list of all time faves.

IMG_7235gloak.jpg

Toby recommended. A closer look at the label for those who may be inspired to go shopping:

IMG_7240gloaklab.jpg

Enjoy! 🥃 🥃 🥃 🥃