Mad Dogs & Rock Collectors Go Out In The Mid-day Sun! (Post up your Rocks & Mid-day Epics!)

• @NickG! Here's a Ingersoll Rand air compressor at a mine on Spruce Mountain Nevada. It likely dates to the 1920's.

IMG_0610-small.jpg

• looks like buzz worm heaven 😉

• @NickG! I think it was above prime rattler territory, although I'm up to three encounters this year, including descending a mine dump on 2' diameter rocks & looking down at a disturbed & excited rattler in a hole, a foot below my right foot. I levitated out of that position. Mostly, I don't encounter rattlers at the high mines I visit.

But, we were finding good mineral specimens. Garnet crystals on white calcite from that mine.

Andradrite Garnets on white Calcite. Photo is a closeup of a 1 inch area.jpg

• As interesting as all the historical stuff is it is also important to bear in mind the huge environmental impact from mining. Entire river systems, e.g. Clark Fork, became essentially sterile. Time and expensive cleanups footed by taxpayers rather than the mining barons restored fisheries decades later. Still ill advised to eat the fish so it's a good thing most sportsmen are into catch and release these days.

Another example would be Anaconda Smelter Cleanup. Copper Barons declared bankruptcy prior to expensive cleanups that ended up tapping millions from the Super Fund. Folks who grew up there bitd often contracted various strange forms of cancer. My mother in law was pretty involved with the local historical society and records indicated the Barons we well aware of the hazards and even went so far as destroying records.

Here's one more from the Anaconda Copper Legacy.

Okay, sorry to be a downer. Just wanted to keep in perspective cuz while I dig these pics of days gone by it was pretty bad news ecologically. ✌

• Two things
    In that sweltering garage that flooded, was the cardboard box containing
    what is left of a once-proud rock collection.
    My father & I amassed somewhere around 60 quality specimens.
    After my leaving he saw fit to leave 3 pounds of raw decaying Vermiculite
    in the same wood/glass display case.
    From all I've read, a bucket of soapy water and a light spray down
    will render the stones & crystals safe.
    From what I understand;
    my mother was known to pass out small hammers to very young children,
    to give them entertainment; smashing on the best of the semi-precious stones,(Pictures to follow in a few days)

This is an awe-inspiring thread and I give tribute!
    It makes me think of a thing not so much as any sort of competition
    I can think of this to inspire me to do my own march to a sad castle that sits a click
    (or 2 at most) up a hill in the tick-infested mixed hardwoods.
    We'll usually go in the fall as it is an annual thing
    so it might be more in a month or 2.

• Vermiculite is not that big a deal in small doses. water will keep the dust down. wear an N100 mask (majenta filters) if not you will probably live with a snug N95 dust mask. wash that stuff off and move on...

• Toby! Your point is well-taken.

"As interesting as all the historical stuff is it is also important to bear in mind the huge environmental impact from mining"

Much of our history had dark spots, when we dig a little deeper. Mining caused & still causes incredible damage to our environment. An Idaho story that amuses me is that the "world-class" ski resort towns of Ketchum/Sun Valley had a lead smelter during the 1880's. The large & modern Philadelphia Smelter was on the banks of Big Wood River, just west of Ketchum & it smelted lead/silver/zinc ores from the many mines in the area.

Here's a non-copyright stereoscope photo of the smelter & the railroad bridge to it from the Bancroft Library.
    Philadelphia Smelter-Bancrof Library, 1905.jpg

The Smelter went bankrupt by 1890, but the environmental mess from it has been "swept under the carpet of history," since Ketchum/Sun Valley don't want to be thought of as a "mining waste site."

Ketchum/Sun Valley celebrates the next local industry that was important, massive sheep-grazing, which also caused much erosion & damage with a highly-successful "Trailing of The Sheep" festival every fall, but I doubt if they will ever have a "Mining & Smelter" festival.

I drove by the local airport two weeks ago, when the annual Paul Allen & Company "Billionaires Summer Camp" was happening. It is strange to see so-much wealth & power concentrated in a one-time mining boom town.

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

• I managed a two-day outing to another group of high mines in "deepest Idaho." South Mountain sets near the Oregon border on the western edge of the Owyhee desert & has a mining history that goes back to the 1860's. The mines there mostly produced lead & zinc along with some silver & copper & achieved their most productive years in the 1940's & early 50's. They have now mostly slumbered for 65 years, but still hold substantial ore reserves. For the last 15 or so years much exploration work has been done on them, but fears that the mountain-top & BLM fire lookout would be replaced by an open-pit mine have not been realized, yet.

Fire lookout at center left from my first mine hike of the day
    IMG_0705.JPG

My abusive rock-hound parents dragged me to South Mountain when I was a teenager & forced me to look for old bottles, small mining artifacts, & mineral specimens. All I can remember finding is the box of mineral specimens I still have. Heidi & I went back in 2007 & enjoyed the wonderful solitude & terrific sunsets from the high treeless ridge the fire lookout sets on. There are of course, no developed campsites & no amenities, which is just the way we like it.

Looking south at the Owyhee highlands & my SUV from the lookout.
    IMG_0650.JPG

One of many open mine shafts.
    IMG_0657.JPG

I was at a mine about 400 vertical feet under the summit on the east side when two Air force fighters cleared the summit by about 100' & roared off east. The dot in center of this photo is the 2nd jet.
    IMG_0660.JPG

Most of South Mountain is a "Skarn" where semi-molten granite was uplifted millions of years ago into still more ancient limestone. It produced the ores that got mined & some minerals only of interest to collectors. Most of those minerals are on private lands, but some areas are still available, although 150 years of mineral collecting there has made collecting challenging.

Here;s a big chunk of calcite, with sprays of Skarn iron minerals, brownish Hedenbergite & black Ilvaite. I left it in place.
    IMG_0661.JPG

But, there is still the glorious sunsets & awesome sunrises.

IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG

And even though I had to share my camp with cows, moonrise with cow is a rare photo opportunity.
    IMG_0680.JPG

• ![0_1566056465770_IMG_2260 chrysocolla.JPG](Uploading 100%)

Yeah, there is some issue post last weekend's updates that I've yet to debug. Intermittent glitches can be challenging to replicate and hence perplexing. Been busy w/other things. I have encountered it myself with "known good" images, however, so will get it figured. Sooner or later. Apologies in the meantime. 🤦

• A few more photos from my most recent visit to "Deepest Idaho."

A closeup of a nice chunk of copper ore & quartz. The yellow is Chalcopyrite & the blue is Bornite aka "Peacock Ore."

IMG_2307 chalcopyrite n Bornite..JPG

A nice little group of clear quartz crystals with black Ilvaite crystals.
    IMG_2258 quartz & black ilvaite.JPG

And a view down to one of the old mines I hiked to & on to the Owyhee uplands & the Owyhee Mountains. .

IMG_0654.JPG

• I hiked up Little Fall Creek near Sun Valley to explore some old lead-silver mines on its west fork. Although an avalanche from last winter blocks most vehicles at about 7,750', a decent road to lower mines at 9,100' makes hiking pleasant. I followed steeper & rougher road up to about 9,400', then a steep trail to the highest mine at 9,500'. The nearby ridgetop called me higher & I worked along it to about 9,750' & a good look at the area high-point, Peak 10,227'.
    High-altitude pine stump at 9,700'. I assume miners used the trunk for mine timbers.
    IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

The ridge ahead didn't look pleasant & after about 4 miles & 2,000 vertical feet, pleasant was suddenly important to me. I descended, exploring mines for minerals of interest along the way. Happily, I could leave those specimens behind.

Lead-silver ore at the highest mine.
    IMG_0783.JPG

Small quartz crystals. It was easy for me to leave this 300 lb. specimen behind.
    IMG_0774.JPG

Weathered Galena (lead sulphide) crystals. Area of photo is about 1".
    IMG_2320.JPG

Here's a view back up the side canyon I hiked with a red arrow showing my high-point. Great avalanche country!
    IMG_0803 best hike top.jpg

I camped for the night on Lower Wildhorse Creek & was discovered by a small, fast, & hard-biting fly. Long pants solved that problem & I enjoyed the views.
    IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG

The next morning I was surrounded by monsoonal showers. I drove on up Wildhorse Creek to where I intended to hike, but was discouraged by the weather. It wasn't going to be pleasant at 10,000'.

IMG_0812.JPG

• I made a journey into Nevada’s remote & legendary Kinsley Mountains last week. The area was first mined in 1862 for silver, lead, & copper. Eventually some major mines were explored in the early 1900’s, then it was mined again for tungsten in the 1940’s.

Driving through "Deepest Nevada" to the Kinsley Mountains.
    IMG_0818.JPG

A huge open-pit gold mine tore out the center of the range in the 1990’s. That mine is now closed, although promoting mining companies keep doing exploratory core-drilling & promise more rich gold discoveries.
    The big gold mine is the treeless area at top center.
    IMG_0819.JPG

The early miners found a lack of water. A 1916 article on the mines mentions the only spring flows about 8 gallons of highly mineralized water every 24 hours. The first mine I hiked to was a first for me, a marble mine. Intrusive granite has altered dolomite to marble of a commercial grade. This mine was also abandoned, but interesting.

A large marble slab, with my 4' long hiking pole for scale.
    IMG_0821.JPG

West view from the marble quarry.
    IMG_0822.JPG
    I followed a road through several quarries to a pass above the range, but then it was time to car-camp for the night.

I'll be damned! My first every marble mine.
    IMG_0823.JPG

Marble slopes going up towards the intrusive granite cliffs on the skyline.
    IMG_0830.JPG

Wedges used to break off a drilled slab of marble with my hiking pole for scale.
    IMG_0832.JPG

A marble slab ready to be hauled to civilization.
    IMG_0834.JPG

A view east to Utah's Deep Creek range, from a pass I hiked to.
    IMG_0835.JPG

A very long snake along the way.
    IMG_0837.JPG

Chicken Marsala & fine red wine for dinner.
    IMG_0839.JPG

Kinsley Mountains sunset.
    IMG_0841.JPG

The next morning I hiked around two small groups of old silver, lead, copper mines, & then near the marble quarry I hiked up to where much digging had revealed copper carbonates. By that time temperatures were in the low 80’s. After a late lunch, it was time to start home.

This cabin used huge timbers. Some were 12" x 24" thick.
    IMG_0847.JPG

Another cabin & mine tunnel.
    IMG_0850.JPG

A little copper ore. Mostly Chrysocolla, copper silicate.

IMG_0854.JPG

A scary open stope. Miners worked up along a mineral deposit from a lower tunnel (adit) to the surface. I tossed a rock down it & it bounced for about 2 seconds, before hitting bottom.
    IMG_0855.JPG

Garnets. Area of photo is about 1/2"
    IMG_2332.JPG

Pyrite in calcite.
    IMG_2335.JPG

• @FritzRay Nice, Fritz! Exceptin' that open stope! Damn! Best be paying attention to where ye' be walkin', eh?