seeding popular topics from the taco

• @Smokey said in seeding popular topics from the taco:

You might also consider starting a dog thread so there is at least one more popular thread for people to contribute to.

Already done. See "A Dog's Life Redux".

• Banned

@L-Aura
    You, are my new personal hero. Well played 🙂

• If one of the goals of this forum is to become a deeper source of information for climbers, having a blanket policy of not allowing (or desiring) links to SuperTopo just doesn't make any sense. If so, then why limit that policy to ST? Why not links to ANY website?

Discussions of a topic at hand usually require corroboration of one's comments...and that means linking to an outside source. Sure, some of those source websites can be pretty shady (and maybe RPU needs to create some coding to block the really dangerous ones), but that shady-ness is part and parcel of the inter-webz. Caveat browser.

Or is this anti-linking policy specific to ST, only? If so...gotta get past that, man. Let ST be what it was (emphasis on was), and RPU will gain it's own identity that will (hopefully) supersede ST over time.

• ST is dead. Done deal. I invite those of you so in love with ST that you just cannot imagine a life without it to go browse ST. Should provide you with months, even years, of "quality" reading.

As for why such is not specifically spelled out in our Terms of Service - I never imagined in a million years that such would be necessary. Definitely way uncool, even without ST's sketchy history.

I ask those cool enough to have some modicum of respect for their host to avoid mentioning ST other than if/when it legitimately makes sense to do so in the context of an actual climbing discussion. If, in such context, you feel that you must, "ST" shall suffice.

• I'm just never going to be "laid back"
    I don't pretend to be "California Cool"
    I never got to surf enough to get good at it
    But I'm built for driving home a point

Let's call ST The Mausoleum

• The Mausoleum because without our pictures the site is a tomb.

The place, where what was once respected and is now dead is memorialized, a repository of the remains.

A mausoleum is an external free-standing building constructed as a monument enclosing the interment space...

The burial chamber of a respected deceased person or people. (A monument without the interment is a cenotaph.)

A mausoleum may be considered a type of tomb,
    or the tomb may be considered to be within the mausoleum.

This really isn't that hard to understand,

Don't use the 'hot-link' [+relavent info]( to the 'Mausoleum )

Quote the name of the thread, give directions to a specific post by naming the person/name & page number where the post appears.

@toby said in seeding popular topics from the taco:

ST is dead. Done deal. I invite those of you so in love with ST that you just cannot imagine a life without it to go browse ST. Should provide you with months, even years, of "quality" reading.

As for why such is not specifically spelled out in our Terms of Service - I never imagined in a million years that such would be necessary. Definitely way uncool, even without ST's sketchy history.

I ask those cool enough to have some modicum of respect for their host to avoid mentioning ST other than if/when it legitimately makes sense to do so in the context of an actual climbing discussion. If, in such context, you feel that you must, "ST" shall suffice.

• @The-Gnome

I get you're driving a point but the time for discussion of ST is past. If you need a reference; "That who must not be named" is more apropos.

As stated, I prefer we do not mention it at all. My " If, in such context, you feel that you must, "ST" shall suffice." is my compromise to the community. Anything more is unwelcome.

• So how about linking to MP? Or SummitPost? Or the Tundra forum? Or some fly fishing forum? Or a cyclists forum? Or Fine Homebuilding's forum?

Or any other website that might have information that is pertinent to the discussion?

• My two cents, just let RP grow at a natural rate.

When you want things to grow, you add a little bit of fertilizer. You add too much, and you have a big steaming pile of feces.

• Banned

I had a good talk/type/chat with toby. There is a lot we agree on, but unfortunately this issue isn't one of those things. I don't do well with secret/selectively enforced rules and I really don't do well with "...because I said so..." explanations. Typically when faced with that, I just take my ball and go home. While I feel like there is a little bit of both of those still going on with this topic, I also think I have a good enough feel for where toby is coming from that I get his intentions. If we could have the best of both worlds, easy access to all the relevant information AND not support ST in any way at the same time, then everyone would be happy but it doesn't look like that's the case right now.

Which brings us to the present situation. He asked me to remove all the links in the seed threads I created. Another thing I don't do well with is having my hand forced in a way that at all appears like my action was voluntary. What I did was replaced the links with the following:

::edit::
    Due to an unfortunate ideological disagreement, I'm no longer allowed to post links to what I feel are previous quality discussions on this topic. If you want a history lesson, you can do a web search with the title of this thread + " Rock Climbing".
    If you find this edit confusing or want to discuss it's impact on the current discussion, there is a place for that. Please do it here:
    https://forums.redpointuniversity.com/topic/129/seeding-popular-topics-from-the-taco/

I feel like that strikes an acceptable compromise.

1. It makes it clear that my posts were censured, which I don't agree with but am complying.
    2. It still gives anyone motivated enough to find the info, in a way that's completely separate from RPU. No mention of ST. Don't forget that we all remember ST, but new users won't so you can't just say "go to 'the old place' and look it up".
    3. It points people here for discussion instead of cluttering up the climbing topics with administrative discussions about forum rules (and thank you Toby for cleaning up this stuff from those threads and moving it here).
    4. It's respectful. No name calling, or wining. Just stating the facts of the situation.

So there you go.

• Unfortunately some people's children are unwilling to accept that this is no longer open for debate. Challenge accepted.

P.S.; The final post above is a public response following a private warning to please stop stirring the pot. The immediacy of the reply also makes the anticipation and preparation that went into it and poster's intentions all too obvious. Comment Spammers, Sock Puppets and various other modern day Troll variants are unwelcome and need to get a life.