Dealing with Pain & Aging

• Geronimo, here ya' go... Big Medicine!

Sent my way by a lurker preferring to remain anonymous.

anonymousherb.jpg

What the hell, no balls, no glory...

Hmmm... occurs to me maybe sender intended this for the Plant Sex Organs thread? Clever, considering the NSFW warning. Such had not occurred to me when I created the thread. Common phrase from back in my botanizing days. Probably ought not to get that started there though....?? 🤔

Edit: To be clear, the image came from a state where this stuff is legal.

• Heidi & I are dealing with it. After knee surgery 18 months ago, that dealt with a bone chip & a subsequent recovery to hiking like a 40 year old, at age 69, I find I am now mildly-allegic to all those beloved NASID's I used to eat like candy. Yep, Aspirin, Ibuprofin, Meloxicam, etc, cause an itchy chest rash, & now so does Tylenol & Celebrex.

I'm down to alcohol & opiates for old age pain relief.

Woohoo!
    IMG_0791.JPG

• @FritzRay said in Dealing with Pain & Aging, Take 2 - Inception Version:

I'm down to alcohol & opiates for old age pain relief.

Time for my evening meds, too.

Evening meds.jpg

• Hahahaha!

I know pain ain't funny.....but you guys sure are.😉

Cheers to whatever coping mechanism works for you!

• The stoicism required in climbing is a good life lesson.

When it comes to opioids less is more; rule of threes; never more than 3 a day, never more than 3 days in a row. (I had a half pill 12 days ago, June is usually my best month).

I lived a rough and tumble life, yet got messed up by 2 bad drivers.

But then,..... nobody gets out alive.

• Aging is a trip...stops along the way unknown.

• Turmeric and Cumin are great for reducing inflammation. they come combined in a pill from wall mart.

• @Toker-V

+1

Ironic to contemplate all the danger we exposed ourselves to willingly only to be done in by that over which we have no control. Hence why I'd favor raising the driving age. Especially post cell phone and distracted teen driver era.

• @David-Harris

Looks like yer' bout' to quaff a nice craft brew there, eh? Curious about what it was. The glass is making me guess something Belgian? 🍺

• @toby said in Dealing with Pain & Aging, Take 2 - Inception Version:

@David-Harris

Looks like yer' bout' to quaff a nice craft brew there, eh? Curious about what it was. The glass is making me guess something Belgian? 🍺

The glass? Just a standard ale glass that I buy by the dozen whenever I realize we've broken enough that we need a few more.

The beer? I suppose you'd have to call it Canadian because I now live in Canada. Yes, I brewed it, and, while I do brew plenty of Belgian-style beers (I have to, see photo), that one was an IPA.

Zombie repellent.jpg

• @David-Harris

Rock on 🎸

A man after my own heart - been into the stuff since the 80's. Heh, visited Deschutes Brewery the year they opened (1988) whilst taking a rest day at Smith. Dropped in because one of the guys riding w/us on the grocery run told us about some "friends of his" who had just opened a brewery. Poured us full glass "samples" fer' uh... way longer than the designated driver had planned to spend on a town run. Hmm.... come to think of it, he'd driven his own rig and stayed after we'd left. No clue how he got back. Didn't see him until the next day though so presume he just... uhh... passed out somewhere.

Uhh... yeah... realize that was not at true trappist style glass, but with the wider mouth, what oft passes fer' such round here. I favor "standard" 16 oz pub style myself. Although true English Alt-Style Ale would be served in a liter glass. Speaking of which, was not the US supposed to have gone metric, like.. uhhh... a decade or more back??

@L-Aura

You once commented in the Tasty Treats thread about how I keep it off w/all @genifer awesome baking and such? Heh, truth be told, craft beer is what needs watchin'. Don't dig an ethanol buzz but love good beer!

Cheers! 🍺

• Turmeric should be cooked up into a paste with olive oil and piperine to get maximal bio-availability

... showed Evidence that Turmeric Beats Prozac, Ibuprofen, and More (such as Lipitor, corticosteroids, Metformin, and a whole host of other anti-inflammatory drugs)….all with no-side-effects. Turmeric golden paste is a powerful way to get these benefits.

WHAT IS NEEDED FOR MAKING TURMERIC GOLDEN PASTE:

1/2 cup turmeric powder (125 mls) – Use organic powder.
    1 cup water (250 mls) or a bit more to get desired paste consistency
    1 teaspoons ground black pepper (7.5 mls) (or even 1/2 tsp. if pepper is too irritating)
    1/4 cup (70 ml) cold pressed Olive or un-refined Coconut oil – enhances the bio-availability of curcumin another seven to eight-fold

https://deeprootsathome.com/how-to-make-use-turmeric-golden-paste/

⚡

Abstract
    The medicinal properties of curcumin obtained from Curcuma longa L. cannot be utilised because of poor bioavailability due to its rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal wall. In this study, the effect of combining piperine, a known inhibitor of hepatic and intestinal glucuronidation, was evaluated on the bioavailability of curcumin in rats and healthy human volunteers. When curcumin was given alone, in the dose 2 g/kg to rats, moderate serum concentrations were achieved over a period of 4 h. Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg/kg increased the serum concentration of curcumin for a short period of 1-2 h post drug. Time to maximum was significantly increased (P < 0.02) while elimination half life and clearance significantly decreased (P < 0.02), and the bioavailability was increased by 154%. On the other hand in humans after a dose of 2 g curcumin alone, serum levels were either undetectable or very low. Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg produced much higher concentrations from 0.25 to 1 h post drug (P < 0.01 at 0.25 and 0.5 h; P < 0.001 at 1 h), the increase in bioavailability was 2000%. The study shows that in the dosages used, piperine enhances the serum concentration, extent of absorption and bioavailability of curcumin in both rats and humans with no adverse effects.

• @zBrown said in Dealing with Pain & Aging:

1 teaspoons ground black pepper (7.5 mls) (or even 1/2 tsp. if pepper is too irritating)
    1/4 cup (70 ml) cold pressed Olive or un-refined Coconut oil – enhances the bio-availability of curcumin another seven to eight-fold

Thanks for that, zBrown! I've been looking for a more palatable way of getting turmeric into my daily regime; this does it.

• @L-Aura

I eat it by the spoonful three times a day. Still not great taste, but can be washed down with beverage or food.

• @zBrown

Further along in the article, they suggest adding a bit of raw honey to it. That's the ticket.

Everything's better with a dab o' honey in it!🌞

• @zBrown said in Dealing with Pain & Aging:

Turmeric should be cooked up into a paste with olive oil and piperine to get maximal bio-availability

... showed Evidence that Turmeric Beats Prozac, Ibuprofen, and More (such as Lipitor, corticosteroids, Metformin, and a whole host of other anti-inflammatory drugs)….all with no-side-effects. Turmeric golden paste is a powerful way to get these benefits.

⚡🎯🌶♨🔥⚡😎
    Constant Curry eater almost every day

I add Basil pesto, that sweet 'something' deal
    I'll vary things like lite tomato sauce, or a half teaspoon of sour cream

gotta go do
    that do that'll do you right
    right now

• Thought I'd be climbing til' the day I died. Alas, mother nature can be a cruel mistress. Whaddya gonna do, eh?

Why, of course, adjust and adapt, eh! 😎

• The 1st picture: dirty, fresh from a hike.
    The once crushed, surgically resurrected, outside right foot provides a constant dull ache.

P3110059-2-534_423.jpg
    That which does not kill us & all that

Helps me to remember . . . .

P3110062-2-453-339.jpg

• I call them Can't`kles

• @The-Gnome Well... I might suggest "Can`kles" since evidently you can still go hiking. 😎 👍