Random Photo Thread

• My climbing partner, Jeremy, rapping off some 5.9 we did. Mt. Washington (east of Seattle).

j2.jpg

• My go-to climbing partner in Seattle. He's literally half my age, and always ready to say yes to a day of craggin', and always stoked to follow me up anything. And sometimes, he's even more ready to go than I am.

j3.jpg

• Is there a better feeling than chalk-covered hands? I would submit that there is not...

hands.jpg

• Is there a better feeling than a day of climbing with chalk-covered hands? I would submit that there is not...

tom.jpg

• Hands down, the best overall shoes I've ever had.

shoes.jpg

• Nice montage Moose

• @Moose Yeah, but that's only because your older, wiser climbing partners bailed on you and fled to greener pastures and endless acres of unclimbed rock in some weird country to the north.

Look at this: Pretty much in our back yard (although you have to hitch a boat ride up the lake to get to it), and only one ascent -- by the non-technical other side.

Castle of stone -- Jason Addy.jpg

And this is just one of a hundred peaks an walls waiting for you here.

Oh, yeah, edit to add: base to summit is about 4,000 ft. Small for around here.

• @David-Harris 😁 True! My older, wiser partners bailed on me!

And what a wall! Reminiscent of several areas in Yosemite. Is the lack of ascents more a function of remoteness, or rainfall? That's impressive looking!

• @zBrown Thanks!

• @Moose said in Random Photo Thread:

Is the lack of ascents more a function of remoteness, or rainfall? That's impressive looking!

Partly remoteness. After all, it is over 30 miles from the city -- who could possibly contemplate that distance without quivering in fear!

I suppose you could also say partly rainfall. After all, it does rain here in the winter, and snow at higher elevations. So there are probably only about six months of the year when that peak, and others like it, are reasonable objectives.

No, the real reason is simply an overwhelming number of incredible peaks and an underwhelming number of local climbers. Well, that combined with a different kind of remoteness than you were probably thinking of.

Once you are here, getting to all those incredible peaks and walls is relatively straightforward. Might take a day, with a bit of bushwhacking, but nothing much different from a trip into the North Cascades. It's the "once you are here" part that is the barrier. You can be in Yosemite within a couple of hours of leaving the Bay Area. The mountains here are a lot closer to Vancouver than Yosemite is to the Bay Area, but... Well, yeah everyone in Vancouver only wants to pile onto the already-crowded rock at Squamish, or maybe do some alpine climbing in nearby areas well described in guidebooks. Getting here takes a minimum of six hours, and the guidebook only covers a very few things.

But, anytime you want to try something beyond the guidebook, let me know. (Uh, as in I can give you some beta or connect you with someone who will give you some beta, not as in "I will charge up unclimbed alpine faces with you.")