Random Photo Thread

• Yowl! After climbing the guide route on Rainier in 1971 & the west side of Mt Baker in fall 1972, then dealing with glaciers in the Bugaboos & Canadian Rockies, from fall 1972 through 1975, I thought I was Ok with glaciers.

It turns out that the Hayes Range Alaska glaciers took hidden crevasses to a much higher standard than I was comfortable with. Worse yet, after living on miles wide "valley glaciers" for weeks, with nary a crevasse visible, when they popped up, we were not roped & ready.

Chris, & it was all valley glacier, until we got to the far hills, where we found "line of site" for our radio call out to Fairbanks to call for our plane pick-up. Where the three big valley glaciers came together, with the black rock debris, we really wished we had brought a rope. We also found fresh grizzly tracks there.

Saw_01_042-small.jpg

• In late May it never got dark in the Hayes Range & we did a lot of our hiking & climbing during the long twilight hours. After we survived the intersection of the 3 valley glaciers we hiked up a foothill that reminded me of south Idaho sagebrush hills. After a thousand feet or so, our map told us we likely had line of sight for our radio-phone to reach Fairbanks 80 miles to the northwest. The only problem was, it was 3:00 AM in the morning & being polite Idaho lads, we had to "cool our heels" for a few hours before trying to call our pilot Cliff Hudson in Talkeetna.

We'd take turns sleeping with the bulky radiophone to keep the batteries warm, while the other person would melt snow & make hot fluids & freeze-dried food to feed our hyped-up metabolisms. The weather wasn't windy & it was kind of a fun night, even though we didn't have alcohol or drugs.

The view out towards Fairbanks.
    Saw_01_047 Fairbanks view.jpg

Mt. Hess. Our camp was another 5 miles up-glacier from its right side.

Saw_01_048 mt.Hess.jpg

Sunrise on Mt. Hess.

Saw_01_050 Mt. Hess from NE.jpg

Chris & empty food containers. Yes! We packed everything out but our feces.

Saw_01_053-small.jpg

• @FritzRay said in Random Photo Thread:

In late May it never got dark in the Hayes Range & we did a lot of our hiking & climbing during the long twilight hours.

24-hour daylight really changes what it is possible to do in the mountains, doesn't it? I loved it.

• pretty cool mountain stuff.

fed Ex guy needed a hand today. 67 Chevy didn't even break a sweat.
    IMG_3722.jpg
    Hooked on the front bumper and just swung her right around.
    IMG_3725.jpg

• Here's another 24-hour sunshine photo -- topping out on a new route on Mt. Bredablik on Baffin Island. Mid-May, but, other than the endless daylight, it was full winter conditions.

I was shooting a lot of Black & White back then, and this is a scan of a less-than-great print, but wtf, it was about 2:30 in the morning, and we'd been on the go for 17 hours, with over 4,000 ft of descent still ahead of us.

Topping out.jpg

And, as a kind of end note, brought on by Nick's rescue of a FedEx truck in the post above, check this out:

https://www.profgalloway.com/fckdex

FedEx may need more than Nick's truck to tow it out of trouble. (Maybe more relevant on the Skeered thread, but hey, Nick started it.)

• @David-Harris I always enjoy those "way up high, with a view back down," photos.

They take me back to my childhood & an issue of Uncle Scrooge comics written by Carl Barks. It was titled something like "The Lost Treasure of the Inkas" Scrooge had gained possession of a 16th century map to riches hidden by the Incas from the Spanish.

One of the map's instructions was: "Climb until there is more sky below you, than above you."

I've always been fascinated with that concept.

Wind_02_084.JPG

• IMG_6950 (3)885x430.JPG

BEFORE SOMETHING CALLED "MUD SEASON"
    At the 1st full thaw, but while it is still freezing out, a good 6 weeks to 2 months out from the best climbing weather;
    read; Before the bugs & humidity.
    Is the mid-point (high or Low-I don't know?) of reconisance season for me.
    IMG_6941 (2)803x894.JPG
    This years targetS are calling
    IMG_6981 (4)900x499.JPG
    Just As Hard to make out,As The Above The grail-like find the "Dirty Bump" on the left of the top picture . . .
    }>' Below <{ The When G.ODT Granites U-Wall half a mile south along the same ridge
    [IMG_6951 (2)895x766.JPG

• P6280174.jpg

• Yes, well.

A Tibetian demon, from a few hundred years back.

Mustang, Nepal, 2008

IMGA0013.JPG

• Patagonis 2010. Fritzray, Heiid, Jerry, & Angie on the last high pass. Mt. Trompador in the background.

IMG_1567.JPG

• Sunset.jpg

• Okay, time to end the debate about whether aliens regularly come to the earth. The evidence has been growing -- crop circles, cow mutilations, pyramids, abductions, US politicians -- but not 100% conclusive.

Until now.

You might be able to say that crop circles are just a joke played on gullible people by bored farmers, but how do you explain...

...ice circles?

Alien ice circles.jpg

Yes, this is the surface of a glacier.

We were in an almost unknown mountain group in the BC interior. So seldom visited that we made first ascents of several peaks. And what better place could there be for an alien outpost. They could be there without worry about humans ever seeing them.

Until we sneaked in and returned with photographic proof.

• @The-Gnome --neat, thanks for sharing, 🙂

• DSC_0172.jpg
    Turo weep. 2004

• Heidi at her airy solar shower site on Cedar Mesa.

5-6-2.jpg

• Mercator Aug 1991.jpg

• Sign outside a large monastery, on the well-traveled trail to Mt. Everest.

nepal 2006 305.jpg

• Climbing skills can be useful in places where you wouldn't expect to need them. As in rapelling into the Namdaemun market in Seoul. (It was really fucking crowded, so dropping in from above seemed like the best approach.)

Rapelling into Namdaemun market 01.jpg

• IMG_0409.jpg
    S. Dakota or eastern Wyoming??

• Further to my photo above of rapelling into the Ladies' Fashion Mall, I should point out that there is more to this market than lingerie. Yes, once the lingerie comes off, there is...
    ...no shit (so to speak)...
    Kolon Sport.

Kolon Sport 01.jpg

Which, perhaps disappointingly, turned out to be a climbing shop. Yeah. In the Namdaemun market, which may be the single most densely populated spot on earth, there is a climbing/outdoor store called Kolon Sport. And, since my wife is not only a climber, but also has some Korean ancestry, I thought I should bring her back something. Something climbing related, and also acquired in Korea. Even if I doubted we'd ever use it.

Well, turns out we have used it once in a while. So here is the Kong Frog

Kong Frog.jpg