Random Photo Thread

• Heidi, fresh out of the shower with a Donini ice tool, while Mark gets the ice ready for a smashing blow, at Donini's Patagonian bivy cottage. Much needed gin & tonics soon allowed us to toast another day of cheating death in "deepest Patagonia."

P2260047 Dorita ice axe small.jpg

• @FritzRay Some people have all the fun ... hogs!!

@The-Gnome Yeah, that blocky tower does look wicked. Also wickedly unforgiving of a leader fall. I'd like to see a slightly larger image of that one.

@NickG !Aye, caramba!! Ye' needs to git ye' a good ad blocker, mon! 👍

• @NickG & @toby
    Pudding Stone, a variation of quartzite conglomerate.
    The Blue Gus Chimney, (80 feet) "Photo Opportunity wall" follows the crack & face through every overhang.
    BlueGusChmny3RP993x700.jpg

The picture below shows what I call The Gumby Gate; A mentally, if not actual, crux - hard start.
    (On Monday's one would go retrieve bail-gear; booty left the Gumbies, that could not get past the gate)
    In this case, the triple overhang start, of the left side Arete & inside of the Blue Gus Chimney.
    109632103_medium_a00b35.jpg
    The other side of the picture is looking up the right side a crack-to-face, thru roof cap-stone, that my "Freak-Brother" looking friend is smiling on.
    He is asking How Hard? having just passed the "Gumby-Gate" a 6-inch fist crack through that overhang & blocky corner start...(old school 5.10)
    Johnathan Nabut, "Photo Opportunity Wall" The Blue Gus Chimney, Green Pond NJ. 1982
    Johnathan Nabitt BGC,GrnPnd-82.jpg
    It is a long story . . . In short
    The place has a decades-long history of climbing but was recently"declared closed" due to phone calls made by an ego-driven choss-hopper, Ken Roberts, who has been actively getting places closed to try and monopolize and then monetize the small bumps he has seen illegally beaten trails to, Claims to have - but- it is doubtful that he climbed while much of it was already climbed (decades ago) in where?

in New Jersey.

• The improbable, 5.8 Gunks classic "Modern Times"
    IMG_7234MdRnTmz_758x680.jpg

• IMG_4085-002.JPG

• @J-Fengel Awesome shot! I used to do a lot of B&W bitd when I did my own processing. Sweet!

@The-Gnome Uhh... yeah, some people's children... Sigh... OTOH, well, they are from New Jersey so maybe give 'em a break, eh? 😜

• Guess where? Hmm?

God Rock.jpg

• Rugby Shirt. Wish they still made 'em.

Rugby Shirt.jpg

• If you have a vintage Colnago do not sell it! Dave Yerian used to ride one; it was a work of art. My vintage Italian Pro is a Viner Pro, all Super Record except for the Rally Derailleur and the custom triple crankset.

• @Scole

Alas, I was a college student replacing an SR Semi Pro that had been stolen and lacked the requisite funds to hang it with a Record Gruppo so I went with the Gran Sport. Bill Samoan, then owner of Bill's Bike Shop in Camarillo was pretty into the road racing scene and built the bike for me. Bill suggested the aluminum based Gran Sport Gruppo for my use as a more durable option compared to the more "exotic" magnesium blends used in the Record. I am not sure the titanium based Super Record stuff existed yet? Hmm....

In any case, it's all original except for a Record brake lever, replaced by a local bike shop, raided from one of the owner's vintage bikes, when they mysteriously lost mine during a service. Also fucked up my rear cluster. Replaced it w/a flat lander road racer/criterium rig that is worthless if you ever need to climb a hill and don't have telephone poles for legs. As I am sure you are aware, SD is great hill climbing country w/all those ravines and mesas and Bill had my rig set up appropriately. Oh yeah, I put enough miles on it way bitd to "sharpen the teeth" of the first set of chainrings so replaced those on Bill's advice so as to not stretch out my chains as quickly. Chainrings were replaced w/original Campy Gran Sport stuff.

Lesson being don't let anyone who's never touched anything other than Japanese stuff work on your vintage Italian rig even if they assure you they know what they're doing. If you don't see it hanging up on the wall... likely they don't. Speaking of which, I was once offered $3K when I took it in for service by Fairbanks, AK shop owner who had a nice vintage collection. Needed money at the time so was tempted. Now glad I did not. And lest I hijack the "Random Photo Thread"... Geronimo! Here's a pic:

IMG_5900.jpg

colnago_blues.jpg

So, yeah, it's a cool thing to have. I go stare at it and wax nostalgic fer' the good ol' days from time to time. 🚴

P.S.; As for the SR Semi Pro... I recovered it one day when I was shopping for a room to rent when, no shit, there it was, leaning up against a wall in the living room. I said; "Hey, that's my bike!" Guy showing me the room replied; "No it's not, it's my roommate's." After a bit of back and forth I was picking up their phone to call the cops and recited the serial number, which I'd memorized because it was my then ATM card's pin (yeah, they used to be much longer than four chars). He figured out I was not joking and dead serious so checked the bottom bracket and asked for a repeat. Lo and behold I was spot on! Still recall thirty plus years later: MOJ60288, or damn close. Whereupon the dude got a pretty worried look on his face and told me to "just take it". Needless to say... they didn't offer me the room. Turns out the room mate was a classmate "friend" at UCSD. I loathe thieves and damn tempted to reveal his name here but we all make mistakes so hopefully he's become a better person since those days. Thief had turned it into a "beach/boardwalk" cruiser and it was pretty thrashed. I had my Colnago by then so gave it to my bro, who got Bill's to fix 'er up. Still rides it to this day!

• That is a beautiful ride. Hang on to it

• I foolishly sold my Guerciotti one season when I was broke and wanted to climb every day. Then a couple of years later I inherited my Viner from a friend who died in a car crash. He was a bike mechanic, and had converted it to a touring bike with 650 b wheels, a drilled out SR crankset to accommodate a third chainring, and some Cane Creek Brakes. As another friend and former bike shop owner says "it's a Ferrari with fenders". I have a carbon fiber Trek, but it doesn't have the feel of Italian steel

• @Scole Yeah, they do have a "feel" to 'em, don't they? Also last forever. Or damn near presuming you're not a Class 1 rider logging 500+ mile weeks. I needed to study every spare moment so only logged about half that. Less prior to midterms and finals. Bit more during summer months. Used to jump railroad tracks with the thing. Cranked Torrey Pines many times. Not the main road but the switchbacks up the back side. Also Decker and Topanga Canyons on "long day" hundred mile run loops. Santa Cruz mountains. All those great hills 'twixt the Pacific and the inland valleys. Sustained uphill cranks followed by slaloms down the backsides and some grand endorphin rushes. Rainy days would be actually depressing cuz you needed that 'fix'.

Some great riding bitd before too crowded w/nut job drivers. Probably take your life in your hands to ride that stuff now. Was once enjoying a leisurely view run down LaJolla Hill when a Porsche honked at me from behind so I flipped him the bird, tucked and slalomed away. Much to his ego's surprise his $100K car had no chance he was cornering that tight as fast as I could. Heh. Yeah, young, fit as fuck, and w/a grand smorgasbord of awesome riding territory before the traffic turned into a nightmare.

Awesome that you had a Geurciotti. Ann, one of my Pacific Beach house mates who did have legs like telephone poles (Taekwondo black belt/instructor) had one. Beautifully crafted. Those Italians did it all by hand brazing too - no production robotics. Sigh.. don't make 'em like they used to.

Yeah, cycling and craggin' were my two greatest passions in this life. 🚴 ⛰

Alas, my cycling oriented kid is into mountain biking and never even taken the Colnago for a spin. 🚵 Probably for the best the way folks drive hereabouts. Don't even pull over fer' emergency vehicles. Seriously.

Disclaimer: If you're tempted to go jumping railroad tracks, make damn sure you've got what it takes to clear that second rail cuz if your rear tire hits it you'll be in fer' some extra bike handling excitement and maybe some nasty road rash, especially if anything less than perfectly centered/balanced. Ditto for any sand before and after the rails a fast moving train may have kicked up.

• I used to ride Tioga Pass from Mammoth, then go bouldering, then ride home. One day on the Guerciotti I was headed home down the pass when I came up on a Corvette headed down too. Just below Blue Slide are several tight turns I called the Slingshot Turns. I took him on the inside and blew past like he was stopped. The look in the guys eyes was worth a fortune. When he finally caught me in the flats he gave me ten fingers, seven times, plus two more. 72 mph on silk sewups with no helmet might be the high point of my riding career.

• @toby said in Random Photo Thread:

Disclaimer: If you're tempted to go jumping railroad tracks, make damn sure you've got what it takes to clear that second rail cuz if your rear tire hits it you'll be in fer' some extra bike handling excitement and maybe some nasty road rash, especially if anything less than perfectly centered/balanced. Ditto for any sand before and after the rails a fast moving train may have kicked up.

I rolled a tire crossing train tracks on a beautiful chrome Mondia Especial. It was 731 Reynolds and folded up like a taco, but man was that an awesome ride

Disclaimer: If you're tempted to go jumping railroad tracks, make damn sure you've got what it takes to clear that second rail cuz if your rear tire hits it you'll be in fer' some extra bike handling excitement and maybe some nasty road rash

Jumping railroad tracks, or jumping anything else, is one thing. Failing to jump whatever it was is quite another.

In my most recent "failing to jump" event, the object was a six-inch-high concrete divider which I didn't see until it was to late too get the front wheel up. I had more than enough speed to clear the six-foot width of the divider (and then some), but several of the judges downgraded my score for only completing half of the front flip and landing on my head. And this despite the fact that the nice lady who witnessed the whole thing (and swabbed off a lot of the blood) said that I'd gone really high!

But the really sad part of the whole show (well, other than the six months of pain), was the loss of my two-wheeled steed. A custom-built beauty that I had been riding almost every day for thirty years...

Bent steel 01.jpg

Bent steel 02.jpg

Interestingly, there was no damage to the front wheel or the forks, which survived by transmitting the force to the top tube and down tube, both of which buckled.

• @David-Harris

Cool story. Not to minimize the loss your trusty steed. Rarely see those old school leather Brooks saddles. Kind of comfy. I wonder if they're still made?

One of the sweet things about "old school steel" is that it bends rather than snaps. Shudder to contemplate what how long you may have been laid up with an aluminum frame cuz they snap rather than bend (wonder about carbon fiber?). !Aye, caramba! Glad your still here, mon! Sounds like things could have been a lot worse. 🤕

Suspect those of us who've logged the miles probably all have our horror stories. I 'm not without mine but been luckier than most given how much I used to ride.

Hmm... Methinks it may also be about time to fork off a "Bicycle Head Thread"....

• Mari on Sunshine Breakfast p3 01.jpg

• @David-Harris Nice! 🐕

Stellar image quality there. Are you using a cell phone or dedicated SLR digital camera?

Stellar image quality there. Are you using a cell phone or dedicated SLR digital camera?

Neither. That photo was taken 16 years ago, before I had a cell phone, and I've never owned a digital SLR. At that time I was using a Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot as my climbing camera.

Pretty much any cell phone you can buy now has higher resolution, and most probably have better lenses, but, for its time, the Coolpix was pretty good.